Wednesday, August 26, 2009

T -2 To Bring or Not to Bring?


The guest room at home is a disaster. Stuff strewn about, there’s backpack innards, trekking thingies, spanex/lycra/wicking clothes and miscellaneous more things I don’t care to list. I have no idea if it’s near the 12 kilos/25 pound self imposed limited, or whether I can jam it into my shrinking pack.


The ‘bring/don’t bring’ decisions on my mind however, are not of the sock and underwear variety. They are of precious items which despite weight or girth, or lack of either, will lift me on the coming sojourn. I think I have my list:


Sandra’s scallop shell. The scallop is an icon of the Camino, reputed to have been used to scoop water from pond or well before the era of the Camelbak and plastic bottles. Many walkers acquire a shell somewhere on route for a couple of bucks, then attach it to dangle from backpack along the Way of St. James. My wife and I each bought one in St. Jean Pied de Port on our original walk. For 2009, Sandra’s 2003 version is on my pack.


A Teddy bear named Mikee. We lost my brother-in-law Michael to cancer a few months ago after an amazing 10 year battle. He was 66, and for 30 years was as much a brother as my own. I miss his wisdom already, his wit, laughter, friendship, and the love he had for my sister and so many others. I was lucky to be one of those others. He was a beautiful man, the kind who inspires every day. I want Mikee to ride across Spain with me.


No Netbook/Blackberry. These made the ‘don’t bring’ list. I expect a severe case of withdrawal, and maybe even the shakes for a few days, but these puppies need to stay home. I may regret it, but I think it's is the right decision. I was generously filled by quiet, tranquility, peace and an almost constant meditative mode last time out. The combination supplied base elements for many experiences; encounters that moved my spirit. Internet cafes, phone cards and pay phones will be my alternate. It will be soooo 1980s…


An electronic tape recorder. Small, light, and without a connection to the outside world, I hope it will at some point hold worthy thoughts; maybe save moments of inspiration.

A missalette. Many of the churches across Spain are Catholic. The Catholic masses are universal, which is to say the same Biblical passages are read in every church everywhere in the world on any given day. I can’t speak Spanish, but this little booklet in English contains all the daily readings for September. When I do wander into a church, I can follow what’s being said and read. I’m hoping the readings might speak to me.


A bag of rocks. I know; this one’s a little weird, especially on a journey were dumping weight is the prime directive. And to make it worse, I can’t tell you what they’re for. Not yet. Maybe in a few days.


These are my thoughts and feelings today.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Paul-e
    Mikee will be with you every step of the way, and you'll have a "teddy bear" hug every day.
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your 12kg is toooooo heavy to carry. Don't forget you will also have to carry water plus some provisions each day. This will take you up to maybe 14kg. Suggest you try to get about 3kg out of your pack. Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might consider a small notebook and pencil. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weight's too high, you're right. Tomorrow I get savage, and start cutting into the stuff pile before flight time...

    ReplyDelete