Tuesday, August 18, 2009


T-minus 10 days. Wow. I can't believe it.
I'm headed to Spain August 28th to walk the 800 kilometer/500 mile footpath known as the Camino de Santiago. Again.
I walked it in September of 2003 with my wife, and since the day I left it behind I've wanted to return to walk it alone. Circumstances have provided me with 5 weeks to do just that.
There was something indescribably beautiful about my first walk. It was peaceful and spiritual beyond anything I've ever experienced, along with being seriously physical. The journey touched my innermost emotions, leaving me feeling deeply moved. I spent a month in what turned out to be an ideal world - and I'm an idealist. I'm hoping to re-capture some of that feeling, some of those emotions, and maybe write about the journey more fully this time.
Over the next 10 days I'll fill in a few more details - more on what I found last time, my schedule this time, why I'm writing, and about the voice I hope to find so I can relate my second trek of 'The Way of Saint James'.
Beyond that, I'll blog from Internet Cafes, hopefully every second day or so. I'm leaving cell phone and laptop at home. This is going to be a pure experience, or at least as close as I can get to one.
See ya.
Paul
BTW, the camel's name is Kojac, and I came across him on the Mount of Olives outside Jerusalem back in January of this year. The pic is because I think he's very cool.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, Genevieve Georget-Smyth (my daughter) put me on to your blog as I am doing the same trip starting in October (money permitting). I was blessed to meet Oliver Schroer before he hit the CBC, while he was still teaching violin/fiddle in Smithers. He sent me a copy of his CD Camino and I was done. I love to walk and am so looking forward to this for lots of reasons. I also plan to stay on for a month and pay it forward as a host at one of the hostels. I wish you well and look forward to reading your posts. (If I don't go in October it will be in the early spring).
    Smiles and blessings
    Carolyn
    "Living simply so others may simply live."

    ReplyDelete